Fishing is one of the most popular centers in my classroom! A Fishing Center is a high interest, fun, engaging, and hands-on way to practice and review specific skills!
This resource includes:
- 5 pages of Diphthong: au for a total of 30 cards
- 5 pages of Diphthong: aw for a total of 30 cards
- 5 pages of Diphthong: ou for a total of 30 cards
- 5 pages of Diphthong: ow for a total of 30 cards
- 5 pages of Diphthong: oi for a total of 30 cards
- 4 pages of Diphthong: oy for a total of 24 cards
- 3 pages of Diphthong: short oo for a total of 18 cards
- 5 pages of Diphthong: long oo for a total of 30 cards
- 5 pages of Mixed Review for a total of 30 word cards
- 5 pages of Mixed Review with pictures (students name the Diphthong) for a total of 30 cards
- Every page has “Special Cards” such as Extra Turn, Pass It, etc.
Getting started is EASY!
- Print a set of cards on card stock or construction paper. Use colored paper instead of white so that the words don’t show through. Laminate for durability.
- Cut the cards apart and add a couple of staples to each card so that the cards are magnetic.
- Purchase a set of inexpensive fishing poles (linked in product) or make your own by using a dowel, string, and magnet.
How to play:
Students will sit in a circle around the “pond” or “ocean”. I use an old piece of blue fabric material, but you could use a rug, a piece of butcher paper, a blanket, a towel, etc. as your ocean. Students take turns fishing and pull out one card. They read the word (or the picture and name the Diphthong) and keep it. I encourage my students to help each other. Everyone keeps the fish they pull out, even if they need help!
We put the fish in FACE DOWN, but you can do whatever works best for you!
Regardless of how you play, your students will LOVE fishing and get lots of practice time with a particular skill!
*Fishing Poles not included
There are no reviews yet.